Wednesday, October 17, 2018

AUBREY AND PATSY



                        
             AUBREY AND PATSY

My husband Aubrey and I met when we were 9 (him) and 8 (me) years old respectively. We probably met before then but that is my first memory of us meeting. His family (mother, father, sister and 2 brothers) lived next door to my mother’s older sister and her family. My first memories of my husband are that he was from the family that lived next door as I was spending time with my aunt’s family at 420 Mora Street and his older brother made a dolls’ swimming pool for my cousin and I. It was a lovely swimming pool and my cousin and I were happy and impressed.



Aubrey and I could have met before then because he, his parents and his siblings were born in the same village as my father and the families knew each other. Our ancestors had lived in that same village for generations. His parents and my father moved from the village to work in another part of the country. We both visited that village (with our parents and siblings) during our childhood but never at the same time.



When I was a teenager I spent time at my aunt’s house at 420 Mora Street and my husband now tells me that he was romantically interested but was too shy to express his interest. I never had any idea about his feelings so we went our separate ways and eventually married other people.



Fast forward a few years and we were both single again. I received a phone message from my cousin that someone from our youth was interested in hearing from me. When I called my cousin and she told me that it was Aubrey whose family had lived next door I was surprised. Aubrey and I eventually spoke to each other and then he told me of his romantic interest from when we were teenagers. I was shocked because I was not even interested in boys at that time in my life (teenager) I was concentrating on my “books!!” That was my father’s mantra (books, books, books) which I took to heart; being a Daddy’s girl and wanting to please my father.



Aubrey and I were living in different countries at the time and had many long conversations that sometimes lasted into the wee hours of the morning. We both were excited to talk about many subjects including our childhood and youth. One thing was clear Aubrey was still romantically interested and I realized that I was also romantically interested. It seemed inevitable that we should reconnect and explore where we would take our budding relationship.



Our budding relationship blossomed into a full-blown love and now we are married. We are both ecstatically happy to have found love again and look forward to many happy years together.

No comments:

Post a Comment